Monday, September 27, 2010

Chef's Card: Before and After

I had been meaning to create a decent chef's card for a long time but had never gotten around to it. Part of the delay was admittedly due to the fact that we just don't take Georgia out to eat much, but I know that's no excuse - I mean, it's not like we never go out to eat. And then every time we'd get ready to leave for a vacation, where we'd obviously be eating out several times in a week, the idea of a chef's card would come to mind again. I guess that in the hustle of wrapping up work, getting ready to leave town, buying necessities (and usually packing for 3 of the 4 of us), the chef's card always fell by the wayside.

Well, after this little incident, I finally got off of my duff and created a better one. If you aren't familiar with chef's cards, I think the pictures will explain it.

Before:
Makeshift Chef's card
{Yes, that's a scrap of pink construction paper. Nuts/Fish/Sesame is my way of shortening peanuts, tree nuts, fish, shellfish and sesame. I know it's important to convey ALL of Georgia's allergies, but I'm also of the mind that too many words can lead to people tuning out the whole thing. Maybe others disagree?}

After:
Chef's card: Take 2
{Free template available on FAAN's website. I highlighted the words at the top to draw attention to them. This one is printed on bright paper so that it's less likely to get overlooked by a waiter or cook, and it's laminated. I only have the one but figure I should print some more since they're likely to not return from the kitchen.}

What do you think? Looking at it now, I'm wishing I had specified pine nuts, but at least I remembered to put pesto, which is the usual sneaky pine nut culprit.

No comments: